To speak to an Agent...
Call: (844) 235-9449

we are licensed Nationwide

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What should I expect to pay for my trucking insurance?

Truck insurance rates vary widely in today’s insurance marketplace. There are a variety of factors that are calculated to determine the premium of a truck insurance policy. These factors are used to determine the probability of an accident or financial risk for the insurance company. Experience, age, location, accident history and credit are some of the factors that trucking insurance companies take into consideration.

For details please see the Factors that Determine Insurance Premiums page.

Please complete our 1 page quote sheet for a quick premium indication or call us at
(844) 235-9449
to speak to one of our licensed trucking agents.

2. How do I know that I’m getting the best rate?

We encourage you to NEVER base insurance decision solely on price. Normally, when we buy a product we look for the lowest price — if all other things are equal, we take it. The problem with that approach to buying truck insurance is that it can be hard for the layman to tell whether “all other things” are, in fact, equal.

If you insure for lower rates, but that company can’t provide good timely service, the lower premiums will not help you out at all when you can’t get loaded due to problems with your insurance. The same is valid when your claim is not covered because your insurance agent did not fully explain your policy exclusions such as stated amount and co-insurance clause.

We have direct access to more than 20 top-rated insurance carriers nationwide that specialize in providing coverage for trucking fleets and owner-operators. No two trucking policies are the same! Our experienced trucking agents can design your insurance program based on your unique needs and specifications. Most of our insurance carriers will provide trucking loss control services, DOT compliance and advice at no or little cost to you. Service is what makes us different that the other guys.

3. What is the difference between primary liability and non-trucking liability?

One of the most important aspects of truck insurance is to understand the difference between Primary Liability and Non-Trucking Liability, which is sometimes referred to as Bobtail Liability.

Primary Liability is the main truck insurance coverage that a driver will have. In most cases, if the driver is working for a carrier or fleet of trucks, the Primary Liability of the company will cover the truck. Primary Liability is required in order to legally operate a truck.

Non-Trucking Liability covers damages or accidents resulting when the Primary Liability is not in effect. This means that an owner-operator who is leased to a carrier will not be covered by the Primary Liability of the carrier when off-duty, or not in transport. It is necessary at these times for the owner-operator to have secondary truck insurance to protect him when not covered by the carrier’s insurance, which is the purpose of Non-Trucking Liability.

Carriers will require drivers to have Non-Trucking Liability or Bobtail Liability. These two terms are usually used interchangeably, but are not actually the same thing. Non-Trucking Liability covers losses that occur when the driver is not dispatched, while Bobtail Liability covers damages that occur when a trailer is not attached to the truck, regardless of whether or not the driver is dispatched.

The contract that a carrier offers often stipulates that either Non-Trucking Liability or Bobtail Liability is required. As Bobtail Liability is not commonly available anymore, it is important to ask whether Non-Trucking Liability is sufficient when Bobtail Liability is required. Most often the answer will be yes.

4. What is the minimum coverage that I need to get my authority?

FMCSA only requires $750,000 primary liability coverage, but most shippers/brokers will require at least $1,000,000 in combined single limit of primary liability. The most common request for cargo is $100,000, but this would depend on what you’re hauling and who you are hauling for. Our agency can offer you Cargo limits up to $5,000,000 for most commodities, including electronics and pharmaceuticals.

5. What coverage do I need to get my tags?

Primary liability coverage. If you are running under your own authority, you should have this coverage in your name. If you are leased to a Motor carrier, then you should have this coverage through them.

6. What is the purpose of Physical Damage Insurance if my truck is parked or there is no lienholder?

Physical damage covers the investment you have made in your truck. It covers a variety of perils other than collision, such as; fire, theft, vandalism, wind and hail.

7. Can I get my own primary liability and cargo insurance when I am leased to a motor carrier?

FMCSA requires the motor carrier whose authority you are running under to obtain the Primary Liability and Cargo coverage. However, the motor carrier can charge you for this coverage. You need to review any lease agreements carefully prior to signing them to determine what fees the motor carrier is charging you for.

8. Can I use bobtail liability to get my tags?

Usually not as most states require proof of financial responsibility, which is the Primary Auto Liability Insurance, not Bobtail Liability.

9. What is my truck valued at and what is the difference between actual cash value and stated limit?

There is no value set on equipment as actual cash value is the cost of your equipment at the time of a loss minus depreciation. A Stated Limit Policy is when the insured places a value on their equipment. In the event of a loss, a Stated Limit Policy will pay either the actual cash value or the stated limit, whichever is less. Financed value or agreed value is available on some policies.

10. What insurance do I need to run under my own authority?

Auto Liability and Cargo insurance are the most important coverage’s required to run under your own authority. Other coverage’s may be required in your contract(s) with your brokers and shippers.

11. Am I required to have higher limits of auto liability and cargo insurance if I am a car hauler with my own authority?

Yes, FMCSCA requires all car hauling operations to carry $1,000,000 in Liability, regardless of the fact that the minimum requirements set by FMCSA for general operations are only $750,000.00. Cargo limits are typically higher than the usual $100,000 and would need to be determined based on several factors including your broker and shipper requirements, what type of automobiles are being hauled and how many automobiles can be hauled at one time.

12. What coverages do I need if I lease on to a motor carrier?

Any requirements for secondary liability; i.e. bobtail/non trucking or unladen liability, coverage’s should be specified in your lease agreement with the motor carrier. The lease should also list any additional coverage’s the motor carrier requires. Then you will always have the option to purchase additional coverage on your own to protect your equipment.

13. Do I need bobtail liability if I haul under my own authority?

No. If the primary auto liability is in your name or your corporation and you are the owner of the truck, you would not be required to carry bobtail liability.

DISCLAIMER: Coverages may vary by state and by insured business. Consult your agent about coverages you may need for your unique situation. Coverage descriptions above are for general information only. Actual coverage is subject to all terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy.

Top notch organization to deal with for commercial truck insurance. When I thought I had a serious issue aquiring truck insurance, John @ Big Rig expedited things and came thru with top rated insurer for a premuim price almost half of what I was being quoted. Give him a call and let him work his magic. He got my 100% approval!

Jan – Singleton Trucking Inc.

Featured Testimonial

I have been in the trucking business for about 5 years. I have had 2 other insurance agency’s. I switched to Insure Big Rig about a year ago and hands down this is the best service I have ever received. The products that they offer are over the top. No one else can offer the products that Insure Big Rig provides. Very happy customer.

Jesse - Dreamers Transport LLC

Reasons to Choose Insure big rig

Reduce Trucking Insurance Premiums